A sustainable PERIOD!!!

- some powerful period facts-

disclaimer: I tried my best to use gender neutral pronouns though out this post. If I failed to correct some of my mistakes, I am so sorry, please message me so I can change them. 

I realize that not all women have periods and not all people that have periods are women

1.     An individual goes through approximately 11,000 disposable pads/tampons in a lifetime.

2.     To produce one little bud of cotton the process requires six pints of water.

3.     Tampons, pads and panty lines along with their packaging generate more than 200,000 tons of waste per year. 

4.     456 periods over 38 years = 6.25 years or 2,280 days of your life spent bleeding

5.     Assuming the prices of these items stay fixed (not realistic)

    a.     tampons: if one tampons is used every 6 hours and 4 tampons are used every day = 20 tampons for a 5-day cycle, this totals to 9120 tampons in your whole life. 

    b.     if one box costs $7 and there are 36 tampons per box, the cost for a lifetime = $1773.33 

   


I have recently made the switch to THNIX underwear after using tampons and pads for 6 years of my life. This means I had spent about $900 on period products before I made the sustainable environmentally friendly switch!! 

https://youtu.be/VMbC4Fww1P4 - check out this video explaining how THINX really work

I had seen ads for these undies on instagram and snapchat for months and months. Part of me was really confused and convinced that they didn't actually work. I thought that it would feel like I was wearing a diaper. Or they wouldn't work on the days where your period is more globby than liquid. Or that you would be able to see the lines if I wore leggings. Boy was I wrong. 

I finally invested in some along side with my mom and sister, and wow. I am blown away. Again this is not sponsored but it should be. I will never use a tampon or pad again in my life. There are so many different styles, you can get boy-short, bikini, high-waisted, cheeky, and even thongs. Wearing this underwear has made me so aware of how much waste comes out of period products. Each tampon is wrapped in plastic with a plastic applicator, plastic integrated in the string, and some even include plastic in the absorbent part. Think about how much single use plastic you use on your period even just in a single day. Let alone the 6 ½ years of your life from all your periods added up. 

By making the switch to a sustainable period product you are practicing a sustainable lifestyle choice that will make a difference in the world we live in. 

THIS IS THE PAIR OF THINX I AM WEARING RIGHT NOW !! 

https://www.shethinx.com/collections/thinx-air/products/thinx-air-bikini?variant=28285704110152 

Lots of love, Stay healthy & make the switch, 

MADS

sources:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shave your head

Hair updates!!

Normalize Normal Bodies Series